Scouting Anniversary Week
The anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America on February 8, 1910 is celebrated each year during "Scout Anniversary Week." The celebration begins with Scout Sunday, the Sunday that falls (on or) preceding February 8 and concludes with Scout Sabbath, celebrated on the Saturday after February 8th
Scout Anniversary Week offers our units an excellent opportunity to take Scouting to the community and focus the spotlight of public awareness on the great things we're doing in their neighborhood.
Here are some ideas so that you can put together an awesome celebration:
- Talk to your local mayor or city council. Ask them to proclaim that Scouting Anniversary Week be celebrated in your hometown.
- Conduct a service project for a chartered partner organization as a way of thanking them for their support of Scouting.
- Hold a special flag-raising ceremony at a high-profile location in the community, or make a special presentation to the local school board, mayor, or city council.
- Have dens create birthday cards or handicraft items to display in store windows, school trophy cases, etc.
- Make public appearances at worship services, service club programs, chartered organization events, city council meetings, parades, etc.
- Conduct unit family events, including Blue and Gold banquets, Courts of Honor, parents' nights and alumni recognitions.
- Plant a tree in honor of the occasion. Start a tradition and plant a new tree each year.
- Invite your local newspaper to cover your event, or take photos and submit them.
- Write a Letter to the Editor highlighting the anniversary and the value of Scouting in your community.
- Conduct a special service project during Scouting Anniversary Week to demonstrate both pride in America and pride in community. Focus on areas of hunger, homelessness, and healthy living.
- Use this opportunity for packs and troops to work together. This will also provide Webelos Scouts with the opportunity to work with the troop they will be moving into.
Cimarron Council #474 | Boy Scouts of America | PO Box 3146 | 317 North Grand |Enid, OK 73701
P: 580.234.3652 | F: 580.234.3537 | council(at)cimarronbsa.org
The Cimarron Council is a JTE Gold Council